Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Free ways to test and improve your websites SPEED


Testing the speed of your website is important, most humans will click out of a page if it takes more than 5 seconds to load. The internet is FAST! and we are use to browsing it that way...however finding the right tool can be a challenge. I found several FREE tools that did work in improving my website(s) performance

THE CHALLENGE
After creating my directory press website http://georgiahealthcareprofessionals.com I started noticing that after adding many listings that the site was very slow! Before I looked into what the issue is was I knew I need to find out the "Speed" and away to test the website in real time
(I also started looking for Wordpress Plugin solutions which I will explain in another blog)

THE SOLUTIONS
Here are some of the tools I found:

TIP: before you start testing the site you should visit http://speedtest.net to check the speed of your internet connection,

1. The one I most commonly use is http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#
t provide a very accurate ready of your site speed in real time.
You can also choose the location you want your site tested from and the current time it has Newyork, Texas, or the Netherlands.

Another great tool right in your browser:

2. Google Chrome
As you might already know Google Chrome is a great browser! it's a very powerful browser too, you can use the inspect element tool by right clicking anywhere on your site.
This will allow you to see the source file of your website broken up in to several sections:
Elements, Resources, Network, Scripts, Timeline, Profiles, Audits and Console.

The important one I would like to point out is the "Timeline" you can see how click record and reload your page and see the speed of your site and what might be causing high load times.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate